On Tuesday 22nd November St Birinus Weightlifting Club celebrated its 20th year anniversary of their Sports-Lotto funded, Olympic Weightlifting Centre.
Members of the club, both former and current, gathered for a evening meal to share memories and swap stories.
Here are just some of St Birinus' achievements
- Commonwealth Games (2014) Bronze Medal from Ben Watson
- Over 100 British Champions. The club has had a British Champion for every year since it started!
- The club has developed over ten Great Britain and Team England Weightlifters.
- Numerous British Records broken.
- Three times UK National Lifting League Champions.
Although the centre opened on 22nd November, 1996, St Birinus Weightlifting Club has been running for over 30 years by head coach, Philip Karlsson.
The lifting club is one of few in the UK that is based at a school. As a result, Philip develops youth lifters from the age of 11, working solely on technique at this age, I may add.
Like most Weightlifting coaches, Philip's time is mainly voluntary, therefore, from everyone at St Birinus: "We'd like to say a big thank you!".
We wish St Birinus every bit of luck in the future.